Multigrain Hot Cereal with Cranberries and Oranges
Any grain flakes may be used in place of the soy flakes.
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- 2 oranges peeled and segmented
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup cracked wheat
- 1/2 cup soy flakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat kasha
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add cranberries and 2 tablespoons water. Cook until cranberries soften and release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in orange segments. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Bring apple juice and 3 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add cracked wheat, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add soy flakes, and cook, covered, 5 minutes more. Add kasha, and cook, covered, 10 minutes more. Uncover, and cook 5 minutes to let excess liquid evaporate. Spoon into individual bowls. Add hazelnuts, and spoon fruit on top. Serve hot.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1999