Poached Plums with Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- lemon zest just a few strands- no more than 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 medium plums
- Combine the water and brown sugar in a small saucepan with a lid.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the lemon zest, then set the plums in the bottom of the pan, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and continue simmering for about 8-10 minutes, until the liquid has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and allow the plums to cool for about 5 minutes. Serve in individual bowls, topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with the brown sugar syrup.